According to The Economist magazine.
Roughly 40% of the politically active say that members of the other tribe are evil; 60% believe they are a threat to the country. More than 80% think the system needs “major changes” or “complete reform”.
I have good news for politically active Democrats and Republicans. I agree with them, and have for decades.
Not because I have been convinced of their opposite’s evil by politically active Democrats and Republicans. I believe they are completely focused on their tribalist, culture war issues as extensions of their own egos. And are completely beholden to the interest groups that back them – sometimes both of them – and have been therefore allowed to use the power of government to pillage the future of country, and the later-born people who will live in it, in exchange. And not because I pay any attention to the media that makes money by pandering to their views, repeating their propaganda, and whispering sweet nothings to power. I have never had cable TV, or been on Facebook, Twitter, etc. I fact, these days the only national and international news sources I trust are those from outside the United States.
Rather, I see them as evil and a threat to the country because I have observed what the two political parties, when given the chance, have actually done, and how that has actually affected regular people just living their lives. And have become increasingly disappointed.
So does that mean I’m opposed to the two-party system? What two party system? If a large share of the electorate is so brainwashed that they are unwilling to vote for the other party no matter what their own party does to them locally, and the members of either one party or another are concentrated in large areas of the country, then there is, in reality, a one-party system. And that party, and the special interests that back it, know that they can get away with anything, with zero accountability from either the voters or the media. The Democrats (especially in New York) and Republicans (in other states and at the national level) have, therefore, become irreformable. The only way out is from outside them entirely.Continue reading